250 ALLT Y BERTH
GRID REFERENCE: SN 706454
AREA IN HECTARES: 125.4
A narrow area covering the northern side of the Cothi valley. It once
lay within Cwmwd Caeo of Cantref Mawr which remained an independent Welsh
lordship until 1284 (Rees n.d.) and largely retained native systems of
tenure throughout the Medieval period. The steep slopes lie beneath deciduous
woodland which has probably existed throughout the historic period. Such
enclosures that exist are continuations of boundaries from Area 251, which
are all late, being 19th century in origin (Cynwyl Gaeo tithe map, 1840).
There is now no settlement, and none is recorded in the past.
Base map reproduced from the OS map with the permission
of Ordnance Survey on behalf of The Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery
Office, © Crown Copyright 2001.
All rights reserved. Unauthorised reproduction infringes Crown Copyright
and may lead to prosecution or civil proceedings. Licence Number: GD272221
Description and essential historic landscape components
This small but nevertheless distinct character area lies on very steep
and craggy southeast-facing slopes in the upper Cothi valley. Apart from
a few small pockets of open moorland, the whole area is wooded. Nearly
all of this woodland is semi-natural deciduous, with a few small conifer
There is no recorded archaeology in this area, and no buildings.
This is a very distinct character area. It is bounded either
by semi-open high land or farms and fields of the valley bottom.