GRID REFERENCE: SN 239094
AREA IN HECTARES: 142.60
Part of the Lordship of Laugharne, held under manorial tenure during the post-Conquest period. Though the steep slopes of this area are now heavily wooded and a distinctive landscape area, historic maps (Pendine tithe map, c. 1842; Laugharne parish tithe map, c. 1842; Particulars of the Westmead Estate, 1821) demonstrate that this has not always been the case and that up until the 1840s much was farm-land with associated structures, apart from at its western end. Given the steepness of the slope, however, it is unlikely to have ever been productive land, and it is probable that during the latter part of the 19th century regeneration of woodland took place. This has been supplemented in the 20th century by plantations. At the western end woodland recorded on the tithe map of Pendine parish may have been planted in conjunction with the foundation of Westmead house in the 17th century.
Base map reproduced from the OS map with the permission
of Ordnance Survey on behalf of The Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery
Office, © Crown Copyright 2001.
Description and essential historic landscape components
This historic landscape area rises from the reclaimed marsh to the south. It is a former sea-cliff line, now inland, represented by steep south-facing slopes that rise from 20 m to 140 m. They are cloaked with secondary deciduous woodland, much of it 19th century, and 20th century conifer and broadleaf plantations. The area has not been searched for old boundaries that may exist beneath the woodland.
Recorded archaeology is limited. There is a possible Bronze Age standing stone and a possible Iron Age hillfort. St Cadoc's well, in an area of limestone springs, may have medieval origins.
There are a number of Post-Medieval structures, all stone-built with slate roofs but none of which are distinctive, or listed. They include a mill, farms, cottages and dwellings, a smithy and the Home Farm of Westmead House.
The Westmead Wood historic landscape character area is a distinctive area and well defined, separating the low-lying reclaimed marsh to the south from rolling, hilly farmland to the north.
[click for navigation menu if not present]