PINGED MARSH - UNENCLOSED OUTLIER
GRID REFERENCE: SN 420025
AREA IN HECTARES: 50.07
An area of Pinged Marsh that has remained unenclosed. Pinged Marsh is a coastal lowland area which developed at the mouth of the River Gwendraeth Fawr behind, and to the east of the great dune complex of Pembrey Burrows over a period of time but mainly during the Post-Medieval period. However, the area was still subject to regular inundation into the early 19th-century, and despite the provision of 18th- and 19th-century sea-defences, and the construction of a railway embankment in 1852, it remains very wet and marginal. It has never been subject to settlement.
Base map reproduced from the OS map with the permission
of Ordnance Survey on behalf of The Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery
Office, © Crown Copyright 2001.
Description and essential historic landscape components
This is a small pocket of flat, unenclosed land at the foot of Mynydd Penbre, barely a few metres above sea level, comprising unimproved wet pasture. The main (GWR) South Wales railway line, opened in 1852, forms its western edge. The area is crossed by the former Kidwelly & Llanelly Canal which was constructed in 1814 - 1820 and superseded by the Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley Railway, which was laid over the canal in 1866 (Ludlow 1999, 30), the embankment of which still survives. A spur from the canal also survives as an earthwork crossing the area; it conveyed coal to the main canal from the pits above Coed.
There is no recorded underlying archaeology.
No buildings are present within the area.
This is a distinct and well defined historic landscape character area. To the north, south and east it is bounded by rising ground with long-established farms and field systems, and to the west by the enclosed area of Pinged Marsh.
[click for navigation menu if not present]