GRID REFERENCE: SN 836799
For most of the historical period, the unenclosed character of this area probably ensured that it was considered Crown land. The only pre-tithe map of the area, dated to 1819, shows Fuches Wen as unenclosed sheep-walk. The tithe map shows a similar pattern; a pattern that has in general persisted to the present day.
Description and essential historic landscape components
This is a large block of undulating upland, mostly consisting of north- and northwest-facing slopes with a height range of between 300m at its northern edge and over 500m at its high points. Craggy outcrops occur on the summits. Traditionally it consists of unenclosed moorland, with blanket bog at higher levels and peaty deposits in hollows and valleys. Earth boundary banks are present on the northern lower slopes close to Dyffryn Castell, but the enclosures formed by these are now largely redundant, and wire fences divide the area into very large enclosures. Large-scale land improvement over the past few decades has resulted in the transformation of much of the lower slopes, and some high level plateaux, into grassland grazing.
The recorded archaeology of this area consists mainly of post-Medieval sites. The greater proportion of these comprise deserted settlements and associated agricultural features such as folds, enclosures, pens and tracks, indicating a populated, albeit sparsely, upland area through to the 19th century. Metal mine remains are also present. A greater time-depth element to the landscape is provided by Bronze Age round barrows.
This is a well defined area. To the northeast and east is the lower lying enclosed settled land of Dyffryn Castell and Ponterwyd, while to the south and east are extensive tracts of upland forestry.
Base map reproduced from the OS map with the permission
of Ordnance Survey on behalf of The Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery
Office, © Crown Copyright 2001.
[click for navigation menu if not present]