TAL Y FAN
GRID REFERENCE: SN 689735
Although this area forms part of the Crosswood estate from at least the mid 18th century, it is likely that prior to this its unenclosed nature ensured that it was claimed by the Crown. The earliest map of the area (NLW Map 7188), of 1756, shows at least part of this area in the Crosswood demesne. The Llanafan tithe map of 1845 shows the steep west- and south-facing slopes of this area clothed in woodland, though the high plateau-like summit was unenclosed. The woodland had gone by 1906. The area has now been divided into large enclosures by wire fences. There are no inhabited settlements in the area.
Description and essential historic landscape characteristics
This is the western terminal of an east-west aligned rounded ridge. The ridge summit achieves a height of almost 300m. The north, south and west flanks descend steeply down to about 100m. There are no inhabited settlements in the area. Improved grazing dominates, with very little rough ground even on the steepest slopes. Wire fences now divide the grazing into large enclosures. Occasional redundant earth banks on the flanks indicate that this area has been divided up during an earlier period. Small conifer plantations have been established on some of the steep slopes, and deciduous woodland is present on the north flank.
Recorded archaeology in this area consists of just two sites, but these are important and prominent monuments, namely Cnwc-y-bugail and Castell Disgwylfa Iron Age hillforts.
To the south, west and north this area is well defined by lower lying enclosed and settled land. Only to the east is the boundary between this area and its neighbour unclear.
Base map reproduced from the OS map with the permission
of Ordnance Survey on behalf of The Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery
Office, © Crown Copyright 2001.
[click for navigation menu if not present]