Carmarthen Town Popular Booklet 2006
The production of this booklet follows the detailed historic town survey undertaken by the Trust on behalf of Carmarthenshire County Council and Cadw. The aim was to provide a framework for sustainable development within the town’s historic environment, and to help secure the future of this irreplaceable archaeological and historic heritage.
The bilingual booklet highlights the rich historic and archaeological heritage of Carmarthen. The title reflects the fact that Carmarthen has been continuously occupied since the Romans founded the town in the early 2nd century AD. The book describes the growth of the two medieval settlements of Old and New Carmarthen between AD 1100 and 1500 and the Post Medieval expansion after 1500.
The booklet also demonstrates how historic documentation and maps, archaeological evidence and the modern street plan can be used to build our knowledge of Carmarthen’s past. It also acts as an historic summary of the more detailed survey and includes information on recent archaeological discoveries in the town.
The production has been supported by grants from Carmarthenshire
County Council and Cadw. It contains numerous colour illustrations, including
historic reconstructions by Neil Ludlow and original photographs by Ray
Project Contact: Ken Murphy
[click for navigation menu if not present]